Latest News

Survivor Pensions - Historical Elections - Enquiries with WMP Pensions Service

Survivor Pensions - Historical Elections - Enquiries with WMP Pensions Service


Branch members will recall NARPO HQ suggesting all NARPO members check with their pensions departments that any 'election' they made in 1972 or 1990 to improve a survivor pension was correctly recorded. (Message copied below.) The background can be found on the national NARPO website:-


There may well be an issue for a very small number of pensioners who made an election in 1972 or 1990 to enhance their survivor's pension, where this election has been 'lost', and there has been at least one instance, nationally, where a survivor's pension has been increased.

Clearly, WMP have a duty to pay the correct pension and everyone has the right to confirm their survivor will receive the correct amount.


WMP Pensions Service welcomes requests to check records via letter or email.


John Davis
Pensions Manager
Lloyd House
Colmore Circus Queensway
Birmingham B4 6 NQ

Details should include full name and address, pension number (if possible) and service details. However, checking historical records is time-consuming and labour intensive, so please be patient when awaiting a response.


In case of difficulty, please contact the Branch Secretary.




Were you a serving officer in 1972 or 1990?

If so you will have been given the opportunity to uprate your widow[er] pension.

We have recently been made aware of an issue in relation to the inadequate retention of important pension records around the election made by Officers in 1972, when an option was given to uprate their widows pension entitlement from a third to a half.

The issue initially arose where a NARPO member died and told his wife before he died to make sure she received the half–rate pension as he had decided to uprate. The Pension Authority could find no records relating to the officer’s pension in 1972 and as a result made the decision that they would only pay the widows pension at the rate of a third. The officer in question had transferred from another Force and it would appear that his pension record was not transferred over with him. The widow was adamant, but nevertheless the Pension Authority refused to uprate the pension despite their being no record whatsoever covering his previous service.

Owing to the widows’ persistence and with assistance from our local NARPO Branch, the widow managed to find her late husband’s records in a separate location. That file contained a form signed by her husband in 1973 showing that he had elected to increase the widow pension entitlement through reduction in his own pension.

In correspondence with the Force concerned they have confirmed that in the absence of any records being found from 1972 they would automatically pay the widows pension at the rate of a third.

This record keeping issue could also affect those female officers serving in 1990, when an opportunity was given for them to ‘buy back’ previous service so that it attracted a half rate widower’s pension. This should be recorded on their pension records. Make sure your loved one receives the pension to which they are entitled.